The 23andme test gives you more information as it screens for thousands of genes which include the MTHFR genes. It is not absolutely essential to get this test done for us to help you, but it may provide insight into why certain treatments are not working for you. You also need to be aware that these results may be checked by insurance companies and in the future you may be denied insurance on the basis of these results.
Any nutrigenomic report is intended for informational purposes only and do not diagnose disease or illness. Remember that there are multiple factors and variables involved in chronic disease.
Ready to take the test
These are the steps you need to follow:
- Once you’ve created an account and ordered the test, it will be mailed out to you within about 2 weeks.
- You collect the sample (saliva) and mail it back to them.
- Once the sample is processed in about 6 weeks or so, you should receive notification that your raw data is ready.
- Log into your account, go to the top right hand corner where your name is and hover over the drop-down box. Click on ‘browse raw data’.
- In the top right hand corner click on ‘download’. This provides you with a zip-file document containing lots of numbers.
- Upload the raw genetic data into Sterling’s App or Stratagene which will generate a smaller colour coded report that can be analyzed by your practitioner.